The Kids

The Kids

Monday, January 3, 2011

Queen Of Freak Accidents

Nick calls me "The Queen of Freak Accidents."  And rightfully so.

I suppose it started when I was a child and ran into my mom in the kitchen while she was holding boiling water.  I still have a scar on my arm from that one.

Falling over the hurdles running high school track still leaves me with a bad knee.  Next time I will not compete while sick with pneumonia.

While waiting tables, I managed to burn my arm (conveniently not the same arm as from before) while serving a sizzling steak.  That one hurt for awhile and I still have a lovely scar to prove it.

One of my favorites occurred right after I had Caleb.  I slipped on our driveway while getting the mail.  Okay, so perhaps wearing flip-flops in the rain on cement was not the most genius idea, but who new it could be so bad?  I fell in such a way that I sprained my arm (terrific timing while nursing and changing a newborn) and scraped the top of my foot.  It took forever to heal and yes, there is still a scar.

Just last week, I was carrying Abby out of a friend's house and tripped on a slight step in the driveway.  My natural instinct as a mom forced me to keep my arms around my daughter so that the full force of the fall landed on my knees.  Yep-black and blue bruises on my knees.

Which leads to this past weekend.  I was opening the mail, was looking at a Christmas card, went to scratch an itch on my nose and the card went directly into my eye. 

Okay, so I guess I really do deserve the title Nick has given me.

After a painful night of no sleep, I went to the ER in the morning and found out that it was true-I had a lovely cut in the middle of my eye.  I was told some vicotin would help with the pain while my eye healed-too bad I am nursing a twelve-week old who might object to that in his system.

And now here I sit, finally a little pain free, yet still quite scary looking with my blurry, red eye.  I cannot wait to find out what happens next.

Actually, I can wait.

1 comment:

Tim Parenti said...

Ouch! Glad to hear you're already healing.