The Kids

The Kids

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Facing Foward

We were taking a walk around the neighborhood the other day in the wagon. I was pulling both kids (except for the few times when Abby would jump out to show me how fast she can run-it's actually a bit faster than I can run these days), when Abby decided to take a turn pulling Caleb. After a few minutes of trying to pull him while facing foward, she realized it was easier to turn around and pull him, walking backwards.

While showing off her skill, she finally said to me, "Mommy, can you keep walking in front of me so I can see where I'm going?" Immediately, my thoughts went to the image of Jesus lighting my path, showing me where to go.

I think I am more like Abby in that I usually am walking backwards, thinking that is the easier way to handle life. I have the faith that I'm protected by Someone greater who will warn me when I am about to fall. This does not stop a tremendous amount of stumbles along the way. And with each stumble, I wonder why I was not warned ahead of time.

Perhaps, like Abby, I should face forward and deal with the hard work it takes to pull the wagon. I should be walking side by side with Jesus and not just rely on Him to keep me from getting hurt. Even facing forward, there will be stumbles, but at least I will be looking ahead, focused on the same destination as my Savior.

No comments: