The Kids

The Kids

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Feeling Eight Years Younger


I have not posted in a few days because I have an amazing husband who took care of the kids while I went out of town with friends. Without too much complaining, he stayed home with the kids while I spent four days with my college roommates in Washington DC. It was an amazing weekend full of much needed girl conversation and laughter. In light of my inspiring weekend, I'm taking a break from talking about the kids and focusing on the blessing of these women in my life.
I met Rebekah my freshmen year when God put us together in an aerobics class. This faithful, true and dedicated friend was truly a gift. She held me accountable, shared secrets and nursed me back to health after suffering from food poisoning (if you are a Geneva grad who got sick from Sheetz, you know what I mean). It felt like we were still living together this weekend while staying up late and talking.

Kristan is the most kind person I know. Even if she has something negative to say, she says it with the sweetest voice that could never cause anger. She can easily be underestimated because of her calm mannerism, but she is strong and smart. She notices the little things and has compassion on those around her.

I have never had a boring conversation with Brandie. The life she brings to each story is inspiring and her passion for everything in life brings a smile to my face. When she laughs, it's with her whole being. She is not afraid to show every emotion she is feeling, even if she has just met you. No matter how small or big the situation, you can count on Brandie praying about it.

Christi opened up her home for us this weekend and that is an accurate example of who she is as a friend. She continually puts others before her, listens without judging, and is trustworthy. I miss our weekly chipwhich walks around the streets of Beaver Falls.

This past weekend was so refreshing. As the one with the most kids, I appropriately arrived first and left last. We spent the weekend doing tourist DC things, shopping, laying out in the sun, even going to an amusement park. But, when I look back on this time, those are not the things I will really remember.

I will fondly recall staying up late, eating chocolate, and laughing until my sides hurt. I will smile when thinking of inside jokes, random tears, and complete honesty. Most of all, I will appreciate the feeling of being known. As we get older, it is much easier to be on the surface with those we befriend. Is it because we have less time than we did in college? Probably. Is it because we are too tired to start over again? Maybe. Or is it because we are so busy trying to be like those around us that we have forgotten who we were? I don't know. But, after spending time with four women who know me all too well and still choose to be around me, I feel unconditionally loved and valued.


7 comments:

A Cincy Mama said...

Your post really touched me. Excited for you to have had that time...glad to hear someone asking the same questions about relationships and why it sometimes seems so tough to go deep with new people...Your friends sound like amazing women. Thank you for sharing!

Unknown said...

Aww, Well said Tammy! We all had a great time. Let's not forget Tammy, the one who listens compassionately with patience and understanding. Your level-headed wisdom is a gift! :)

Anonymous said...

It's neat to hear you describe these people that I know (Or maybe it's "knew"... A lotta time has gone by!). I agree, hanging out w/ you & your roomies was never dull.

:)

Tammy said...

Never boring with you, either, Ryan! I seem to recall many funny times with you, namely the singing of "Refuge" that was "just in your key," and sitting in on the Maury Povich show in NYC. Fun memories :)

~Seth and Nancy~ said...

so nice that you stay in touch...what a blessing it is to have friends like that!

Elizabeth said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed your weekend away and feel refreshed. You needed it! I love that you found a way to analyze your trip and learn a lesson from it. :) That's one of your characteristics I appreciate most.

I'm not sure why people form more shallow friendships as adults. (Remember talking about this over and over again in Bible study a few years ago?) It's been a frustrating challenge for me. I've learned that the only thing I can do is make sure I'm always open and honest, being truly myself as often as possible. If people like me and want to know me better, great. If not, oh well. At least I was real. I wouldn't want anyone to befreind a dummy version of me anyway. The challenge in our 20s is that it's hard to spend enough time with people to have a chance at openness and honesty.

I also think deep, meaningful friendship requires effort. Many people are too focused on making lives for themselves and their families to make time for anyone else. In high school and college (and baseball for me), we were blessed with time and proximity. Time and proximity reduce effort, making it so much simpler. As we get older and wiser, we know ourselves better, and we become more selective about who enters the inner circle. In some ways that's good, in other ways it's bad. Friendship should be as fun as it is challenging; when you force it with the wrong people the balance is upset and it's not beneficial to anyone.

Enough rambling. I love you, Tammy. I hope you feel as unconditionally loved and valued here as much as you did in DC.

Tammy said...

Thanks Elizabeth. Those were nice comments. Just have to note, though, that I'm no longer in the catergory of "being in my 20s." Does it all still count?!