The Kids

The Kids

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Longing for Heaven

While spending time with Abby a few months ago, she randomly says to me, “Mommy, where does God live?” Thinking I would hear questions like this years from now, I paused and gave the practical answer of “In Heaven.” She thought on this for a few minutes and then continued with “Well, I want to go there.” I told her, “Someday you will,” and she immediately replied with, “But, I want to go there now!”

I am always humbled by moments like these. Why does it take a three year old to get my attention to the longing we should have for Heaven? Abby does not have any idea of what Heaven is or why she should long for it, but her response was quick, without even thinking about it.

Now, I should point out that Abby is one to want to do something especially if I tell her she cannot do it, so perhaps I should not look into her reaction to deeply. However, I believe God uses moments like this to give us gentle reminders of what is important.

Why are my recent thoughts and desires focused so much on earthly things? I wish we could sell our house so that we could live in a different neighborhood with more privacy. I wish we could sell and move soon so that we can feel settled. I always wanted my kids to feel they grew up in the same place so that when they were older, they had a place to come home to. I want to know where we are going to move and start a new life there. I want to feel that I belong somewhere and that I make a difference wherever we end up. I want and feel and I feel and want…

Maybe this desire to always feel not quite settled is my inner longing for Heaven. This is not our permanent home. It does not matter if Nick and I find the “perfect” home to fit our family “needs.” Something will always stir in my heart that this is not quite it. As much as I want my children to feel at home and safe, I pray they always have that stirring in their hearts for something greater.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Yea! I found you. So glad to add another blog to my folder to check! Glad we got to talk the other day! love,
T