The Kids

The Kids

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Happy Thoughts

When I worked on the permanent staff at Camp Lambec, my best friend/roommate Lisa always told me to have happy thoughts before falling asleep. It became a tradition for us that I have passed on to college roommates and youth group students. Two nights ago, Abby had a terrible night of sleep, having bad dreams that caused her to toss and turn. So, last night, I decided to past on the tradition of sharing happy thoughts before heading off to sleep.

We went out on the balcony, away from the insane volume of our family, and just sat and talked about things that made us happy. She listed her many thoughts, namely recent things of this week, like Uncle Tony's house, the beach, ice cream...but, also the typical things like her house, her toys, and going to Grammy's house. Needless to say, she slept great. The kids even slept in until 8:00 a.m. (trust me, that is wonderful to us).

It has been a great reminder to me to think such thoughts before falling asleep. Nick and I try to keep the "not going to bed angry" policy, but have failed from time to time (pretty much because we are both stubborn people). I always notice a difference in my sleep and bad dreams on those nights. If I have a lot of tasks ahead of me the next day or had just finished an exhausting day, I usually do not sleep well. Perhaps if I just took those few minutes before falling asleep to be thankful to God, I would notice a change in my sleep and my attitude the following day.

Leading me to the huge reminder of spending quiet time with God. This week has been a challenge because it always seems there is no where to go to have that precious time. When it was just Nick and myself on vacation, I still found time to be quiet and rest in God's presence. With kids it is a little different. Even when they are napping, it is in our room. It is just part of vacation and I have seen God at work in so many other things that I am always learning. But, I also notice a change in my attitude when that time is lacking. Even Jesus took time to pray and be alone, especially right before and right after performing miracles. Why is it easier to avoid quiet time, thinking we do not have time, when it is clearly so beneficial to every part of our being?

I would like to note that tonight, after Abby put on her pajamas and had her hair combed, she went to the balcony door and said, "Come on, Mommy! It's time to sit and talk about our happy day."

No comments: