The Kids

The Kids

Monday, October 6, 2008

For My Four Year Old


Today Abby turned four years old. In some ways I amazed that she is already so old. In other ways, I feel like she has been this age forever.

Similar to what I wrote about Caleb yesterday, I notice so many attributes in her personality that are similar to us. She can be really stubborn, strong-willed, and opinionated-all of which could describe either Nick or myself, depending on the day. She loves music and books-again, both of our favorites. And she can be really sensitive, getting her feelings hurt easily, which clearly comes from both of us.

I see Nick in her with her passion. Like her daddy, she never invests in things part way-she has many ideas and emotions that just pour out of her. Her mood can change at the drop of a hat. I find myself thinking of how to word things around her so as not to upset the delicate balance in our house (as I do on Sunday game days with Nick). She has a compassion for people and often asks about children who do not have food or toys like she has, which completely comes from Nick. She also is full of creativity and artistic talent.

Abby always likes to be in the know. She strongly dislikes not knowing what is going on and I completely relate. She usually does not miss a thing and never, ever forgets anything. She loves to be outside and can be very dramatic. She values her friendships highly and tries to be a good friend.

I see her react to things or say phrases that I know come right from us and it scares me a little bit. The older she gets, the more I realize the influence we have over her and who she will become. How did we ever earn this great responsibility? The beginning of parenthood is so much about survival-feeding, bathing, and giving the child a routine. And then, out of nowhere, these little ones become people who are going to make a difference in their world. I pray every day that God is using us as good examples for our children of how to show His love.

Happy Birthday to the princess of the house-my love for you grows more and more each day.

No comments: