The Kids

The Kids

Sunday, November 16, 2008

A Few Lines Out Of Their Mouths

I lit a candle on the dinning room table the other day. Caleb immediately yelled, "Birthday Cake!" For some reason, the word "candle" does not come naturally to him, but the sight of a flame makes him think it is someone's birthday. Then he starts singing, "Happy Birthday to Caleb, Happy Birthday to Abby, Happy Birthday to Daddy, Happy Birthday to Grandma..." The list goes on and on.

In this case, while Caleb was singing his song in celebration of a flame, Abby decided to make a wish on the candle (my kids are clearly in need of entertainment). This was her wish: "I wish to go to Heaven." She also mumbled a few more lines so quietly that I could not hear her (between her and God, I suppose), but just that line by itself broke my heart. I asked her why that was her wish and her response was, "I really want to go there because we haven't been there in a long time." Of course I immediately asked her when she had been there before, but she could not remember at the time.

What had me laughing last night was at bedtime. Our routine is to put Caleb in bed first, while we pray as a family and then we take Abby to bed. Usually Abby prays and Caleb tried to copy her. He manages to say every third word in attempting to keep up with his sister, who rattles off her prayer pretty quickly. Last night we were trying to get Caleb to pray on his own, but our stubborn daughter yelled, "No! No! I'm doing it-not Caleb!" As she was finishing this ridiculous rant, Caleb bowed his head and firmly said, "Amen!" Just the timing of it had us in tears with laughter.

No comments: