The Kids

The Kids

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

When I'm 21

While putting Abby to bed last night, she smiled sweetly at me and asked, "Mommy, how old will I be when I get married?"

I fought the urge to respond with "really old" and just said, "someday." I also explained how I was 24 when I got married. She said, "I think I'll be 21 or 20 something." When I nodded and smiled she decided, "I think I'll be 21."

In some ways it is nice to hear her talk about marriage-Nick and I must be doing something right to make it look desirable. In other ways, the thought of her growing up is so strange to me. She has been little for so long that my mind cannot comprehend her being at an age where she could become a wife. I do pray for her future husband, but I guess I have been keeping the image of her actually marrying this unknown man tucked away in my mind for another day.

She is only four-years old, but conversations like this bring the "someday" closer and closer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Of course you know, but my "baby" who was only 4 yesterday, will be 20 yrs old on Monday! I know you both do, but cherish and enjoy each moment as they go so fast. But I am also enjoying the new stages too!