The Kids

The Kids

Sunday, December 14, 2008

I Love You This Much

Caleb and I have this game where we ask each other "How much do I love you?" Our answer is to stretch our arms open wide, say "This much," and give each other a huge hug. It is always a special moment (particularly when Abby is around and has to get in on the action).

I know both of my children enjoy those moments, but I wonder if they really understand how much I do love them?

Any time I have watched movies or read books about a parent losing their child, I always felt bad, but never really understood the depth of their pain. From the moment I met Abigail, everything changed. My entire view of priorities changed. And it continued to change when Caleb arrived. My life suddenly became not just about me (or Nick), but about taking care of these two little ones that God had blessed us with. My first reaction is to try and take their pain away. If it came to it, I would clearly die for them.

Which leads me to appreciate what God did for us in a whole new realm. He gave up His Son for all of our mistakes. One little moment of my children's pain makes me want to yell out and scream for mercy. Yet, God allowed His Son to suffer and actually die-all for other people. All of my years of knowing His love has been completely magnified since becoming a parent.

My Savior loves me so much that He stretched His arms open wide on the cross. I long for the day when I meet Him face to face and can fall into His arms for that hug.

1 comment:

A Cincy Mama said...

Ok, so I've been catching up on all your posts...reading backwards from the latest. I've smiled, giggled and laughed out loud. I mean, "I'll copy it for you??!" :0) I got to this one and the tears started. You've taken me on a mini emotional rollercoaster, missy! In all seriousness, thank you for sharing your heart and your family. Happy new year!