The Kids

The Kids

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Prayer Changes Everything

Caleb has really enjoyed praying these days. In the past, he has been content to sit back and just make distracting noises while Abby would lead us in prayer. It did not matter if it was at dinner time or at bedtime-he was very creative with his theatrics.

Now (instead of laughing, making farting noises, playing with loud toys, or just simply making a long, loud sound), he volunteers quickly to be the first one to pray. Who ever invented, "Open, shut them, open, shut them, give a little clap, clap, clap. Open, shut them, open, shut them, fold them in your lap" was a genius.

Tonight, as he sweetly folded his hands in prayer and bowed his head, it brought a smile to my face. One can almost forget the day of fighting, arguing and stubborness when faced with child-like faith. What I found amusing on this particular night was that in the middle of his prayer, Nick thought it was the end and said, "Amen." Caleb immediately broke out of his innocent trance and yelled, "I didn't thank Him for Uncle Billy's birthday, yet!" and then quickly bowed his head and continued on in a whisper.

Well, okay then. Excuse us.

While I tried to explain that it is hard to believe one's sincerity in prayer when he or she yells at another person in the midst of it, it dawned on me that I do that very thing all the time. All the time.

I may sing my worship songs in church and really feel in the moment, but then seconds later start complaining to Nick about how hungry I am and how long the service is taking. I may really pray for my neighbors, but spend a lot of my conversations with them complaining and gossiping. I may stay at home for the benefit of my children, but then spend a lot of my days wishing I was doing something "meaningful." I may play the Good Samaritan and help the woman in the car crash I mentioned earlier, but then go right back to cursing the moronic drivers around me.

And these little blessings watch it all. Should I be surprised when they treat prayer like another thing to do that does not need to change their attitude?

(And P.S. to Uncle Billy-the kids are probably more excited about your 21st birthday than you are!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Tammy.....how precious is that? And....the pic is so sweet....I can't wait to see you guys! Love, ACarol