The Kids

The Kids

Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 Years Ago...

Many people on facebook are talking about where they were ten years ago.  9/11 is now one of those days that is similar to the JFK assasination...everyone seems to know exactly where they were when the event occurred.

10 years ago today I woke up, never turned on the television or checked the internet, and went to work.  It was my second job, waitressing at a local restaurant, so that I could earn extra money for our upcoming wedding.

I arrived at work, walked into the kitchen, and was confused as to where everyone was.  I walked out into the dinning room and saw my co-workers glued to the television.  I joined them and watched in horror at what I was seeing unfold in front of me.

As reports came in of other crashes, I began to wonder who was next?  A plane crashed in rural Pennsylvania and my immediate thoughts were going out to anyone that I knew who lived near there. 

By the time the restaurant opened for lunch, we were slammed with customers who just wanted a place to watch television during their lunch hour.  No one really cared what they ordered-they just numbly sat there, staring at the news reports.  Business men sat with construction workers.  No one complained about their food or the wait on their order (since I was the only waitress on a normally slow Tuesday).  They just sat there and stared.

Nick was student teaching and called me at work.  My mom was at a church meeting and also called me.  I called my best friend who lived not too far from the Pennsylvania crash.  We all just wanted to hear each other's voices in the midst of the chaos. 

Things changed that day.  In some ways, it feels like it just happened.  In other ways, I have a tough time remembering life before the event. 

After awhile, life continued to go on.  We got married a few months later and celebrated without a care in the world.  We got on a plane and flew to our honeymoon destination, only pausing to complain about the length of time it took to go through security. 

But, I think about those people who lost someone that day.  They do not need it to be the actual day to remember all of the heartache and loss.  They remember it every second of every day.  My prayers go out to them.  I cannot imagine losing someone in such a vicious way and having to be reminded of the details of it with every news report.

To the victims of 9/11, may we never forget.

No comments: