The Kids

The Kids

Thursday, August 23, 2012

First Week Of School

Oh, the first day of school.

For Abby, she was up early.  By early I mean that as I got out of the shower at 6:00 am and took a load of laundry downstairs, I saw her light on. 

Don't worry-that only happened the first day.  After having soccer practice that night, I had to wake her up for day two.  Still, it only takes a second for her to wake up, then smile and go on about her day.

Now Caleb on the other hand.

Oh, sweet Caleb.  The poor kid still has not learned to fall asleep earlier.  His body is on summer time and he keeps staying up late and goofing off.  Since the boys share a room, this means Noah keeps staying up late and goofing off.

On the first day, I opened the door quietly and Noah looked up at me with an expression that said, "What the...?"  Caleb did not budge.  After turning off the fan, opening up the blinds and finally talking right in his ear, he opened one eye and said, "But, I only had 6 words in my dream."

Um, okay.  I am assuming he meant that he had just started dreaming when I woke him up.

Apart from the task of dragging Caleb's tired butt out of bed every morning, school is going well so far.  Abby loves it, of course.  And Caleb seems to be enjoying it as well.  He keeps talking about his friends and all of the things that they are doing in class. 

Noah is not as thrilled as they are.

The first couple of days I had to walk Caleb into the building and to his class.  Each time, Noah made himself at home, sitting at the desk and grabbing markers.  He had been quite bothered by me since I kept taking him away from all the fun.  During the day, he just walks around, looking for everyone.  When Abby came home the first day, Noah followed her around everywhere and sat right next to her every chance that he got.

It was pretty sweet to watch.

I miss my kids already.  Simply unbelievable to me that I have a 2nd grader and kindergartener this year.

It is also simply unbelievable to me that I have a quiet house in the afternoon.  No middle of the day pick-ups from preschool.  No thousands of questions from Caleb all afternoon when he is supposed to be resting.  Just Noah napping.  And quiet.

I could get used to this.

No comments: