The Kids

The Kids

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Not As I Do

Sometimes kids are a real pain in the rear to have around.

Wow, I am full of Mother of the Year comments this week.

I am just not thrilled with how they bring such accountability to my life.

For example, I was driving to our church plant meeting tonight, running late (because of blessed soccer games) and was driving a little fast.  Actually, I was stuck behind really slow drivers (you know, the kind who go a whole two miles an hour under the speed limit-I mean, come on-who does that?) and every chance that I got, I sped up.

At one point, while driving down what could be a really fun road if we were in the country (but, alas, we are in the suburbs) I had a breakaway.  Someone finally turned right and got out of my way!  I picked up speed, loving every bit of my one mile of freedom (until the next row of cars at the next red light), but then I heard Caleb.

I heard his little voice from the back seat say, "Mom, you are really speeding!  What's the speed limit here?"

My response was something along the lines of , "Oh, I don't know, and I'm only going fast for a short time and we are late and I have this hot dinner here in the car that gets colder by the minute and I don't want to get there so late that no one gets to eat it."

Seriously-I was trying to get to a church meeting!  That's a worthy excuse, right?

I followed up my lame excuses with, "But you guys will never drive like this someday-always obey the speed limit."

Do as I say and not as I do.

I think that just might be every adult's favorite line.

Do not speed.  Do not talk about people behind their backs.  Do not eat dessert before dinner.  Go to bed on time.  Do not stare at the computer/tv for so long.  Eat healthy.  Exercise.  Share.  Get along with your friends.  Be kind to your family.  Pray for your enemies. 

Shall I go on?

Those dang kids and their watching of our every move.  What the heck?  I want to do what I want to do without accountability.

Who knew they would be so much trouble?

No comments: