The Kids

The Kids

Thursday, September 6, 2012

The First Day Poem

For all of my friends sending their kids off to school this year, particularly the ones who are sending their kindergartener...

Caleb's teacher had the following poem handed to us as we left our little ones on the first day.

The First Day
 
I gave you a smile and said a prayer
As you entered my room today
For I know how hard it is to leave
And know your child must stay.
You've been with him for five years now
And have been a loving guide,
But now, alas, the time has come
To leave him at my side.
Just know that as you drive away
And tears down your cheeks may flow
I'll love him as I would my own
And help him learn and grow.
For as a parent, I too know
How quickly the years do pass
So please put your mind at ease
And cry those tears no more
For I will love him and take him in
When you leave him at my door.
 
I should mention that she had this poem in a bag with two Hershey's chocolate kisses and a couple of tissues.  Smart lady.
 
And thanks to that poem, I was using both.

No comments: