The Kids

The Kids

Friday, October 26, 2012

My Booking Blitz

Wow.  So many thoughts this week and no time to write them down.

For those of you who I have not called/texted/facebook messaged/emailed this week about hosting a Thirty-One party (there may be one or two of you out there), our team director issued a challenge this week:  A Booking Blitz.  We had to book as many parties as we could in one week. 

My first thought was, "Seriously?  I already have six parties scheduled in November!  Couldn't those count toward something?"

Then I reminded myself that the contest is all in good fun and what is the worst that can happen?  I book more parties?  Oh darn.

Now, I am usually a casual party booker.  I mention it to my friends and family and give them time to think about it.  This week, however, I may have gone a little overboard.  If someone happened to mention in the past few months that they would like to book a party at some point, I totally called them on it this week.  I spoke with school moms, family members, neighbors, church friends and facebook pals.  My phone has run out of charge before the end of the day multiple times.

After all of this, I have come to two conclusions:

1-doing a booking blitz every now and then is brilliant.  I spent a lot of time doing it, but am done for awhile.  Having parties on the calendar and a somewhat consistent paycheck for the next few months is rewarding.

2-I just got pushed way out of my comfort zone.

I realized that I like to hide behind texts and messages and emails.  They are safe and casual.  When I had to pick up the phone and actually call people, I felt a mix of emotions.  Unease.  Nervousness.  Fear of rejection.  Guilt for bothering people. 

Oh, and annoyed with Noah for consistently screaming and whining every time a person actually answered the phone and wanted to talk with me.

What I found surprising however, was that for every person who said, "no," there was someone else who said, "yes" that I was completely shocked by.  I reconnected with friends that I have not spoken with in awhile simple because I picked up the phone instead of sending an quick email.

Remember life before the internet?  Yeah, me neither. 

Actually, I do recall being at my cousin's house and seeing him send an email on the computer to a friend who lived down the street.  I found it simply amazing that she would be able to read that message the second that it was sent. 

Okay, call me old.  35 does feel pretty ancient sometimes.

As much as I love the safety of my emails and texts, it was rather refreshing to use the actual phone and hear voices.  So, watch out people-you may be getting actual phone calls from me more often.

Just try to ignore the screaming, whining two-year old in the background. 

No comments: