The Kids

The Kids

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Packing

A few of you have mentioned how I am lacking in my posts, lately.  It is a rather simple explanation, really.

Everyone is home from school.

It is amazing how limited my quiet/thinking time is when everyone is home.  At least when it is just Noah and myself, I get nap time.  Nap time for him, sanity refreshing for me.

I love having everyone home, but with all of the constant noise and needs, you understand why I have not been writing as much.

I have lots of thoughts swirling around to share with you all, but let us just start today's post with a rant about packing for a trip.

How has is become the unspoken rule that the mom has to pack for the entire family?

Before leaving for PA this week, I washed six loads of laundry, packed a bag for Noah and a bag for Abby and Caleb combined, packed all of the toiletries, diapers and sippy cups, filled the cooler with drinks and a bag with snacks, emptied the fridge, packed the laptops and every flippin' charger that could possibly be needed for a week trip, took the garbage out, made the beds, packed my Thirty-One bags (lots of family wanted to see the new spring line), Christmas presents, the car bag for the kids, Christmas gifts...the list NEVER ENDS.

Nick packed his bag.

Which I repacked so that it could actually hold his toiletry bag and actually zip closed.

I love my husband.  I really do.  He has so many amazing qualities and talents.

Packing is just not one of them.

So after remembering a thousand and one things for our family of five, I knew I would forget at least one thing.

Turns out it was three things.

Forgot to leave fish food in the tank that feeds them for the week (love my neighbor who ran over and did it for me).  Forgot the baby wipes (I know exactly where they are sitting on my living room couch, though).  And I forgot some Thirty-One supplies in case anyone wants to order something.

My favorite reaction to every thing that I forget is, "How could you forget that?"

Really?  I mean, really?

Of course this husband of mine also just gave me a gift card to the spa, started driving at 5:00 this morning so that I could arrive in time to see my little brother before he left for work, and spends hours playing with our kids.

I suppose I could keep packing the bags with less bitterness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think your kids are at the age to help you with this task. I used to make the boys pack up their car bags while I packed their clothes. Then they would help me gather toiletries, coats, and snacks for the car. I would just give them a list and send them off. If they forgot something of theirs, they would do a better job next time! Just a thought! ~Jess