The Kids

The Kids

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Yes We Can

Tuesday was an exciting day. Our country made history with our new president. The kids watched some of the events of the day with me, but really did not understand the significance of the moment. Caleb kept interrupting, asking to watch Cars. Abby was a little better, but in all honesty, her attention span only went as far as two things: The new first daughters and Aretha Franklin's hat.

Everytime she saw the little girls, she kept saying, "They are just like me!" And when Aretha began singing, she said, "Wow, Mommy-I really like her voice! And look at that hat-I love it!"

In the midst of all the excitement the world was experiencing the moment Obama was sworn in, our home became the place of another first time event. I was upstairs, putting laundry away and listening to the speech of our new president, when I heard these words from Abby: "Mommy, Caleb peed on the floor!"

Always my favorite thing to hear.

However, it was not as bad as it seemed. He actually was sitting on his potty and did not quite grasp the concept of aiming for inside the seat. He did manage to get a little bit in the bucket so that was cause for celebration! I expressed my congratulations and pride for him and he got so excited, he yelled, "I did it!"

(And once he saw he got some M&Ms for his accomplishment, the party really began.)

So, while our country was chanting, "Yes we can," my two-year old was saying the same thing.

3 comments:

Tim Parenti said...

I said it once, and I'll say it again...

Hooray for Change!

Anonymous said...

Tammy that is awesome!!!
I love your blog--I feel as if I am right there experiencing those beautiful children's excitement and joy in pleasing you!!!
Love to all of you!
Christi

Emily F said...

I love Abby's comments about the inauguration. That was some hat wasn't it...Of course, I only caught it in an article on Yahoo...I was a terribly citizen and watched forensic shows instead.