The Kids

The Kids

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Grandpa Joe

Nick, his sister Amy and their grandparents
We had planned on going down to visit Nick's grandparents in South Carolina in a few weeks.  Nick wanted to take some time to talk with his grandpa about his story.  His life story, his war story-everything.  It had been on his heart to find out more about him before it was too late.  With everything that we know of him, it would make one fascinating book.

We were a few weeks too late.

The call came this past Wednesday.  We were getting the kids ready to head out the door for t-ball practice when Nick's aunt called.  I think I knew what the call was about the moment that I saw her name come up on my phone.  It was the same feeling that I had when my friend, Cheryl, called to tell me that our friend Deb passed away.  I just knew that something was not right.

At their 50th Wedding Anniversary
After 89 years of life on this earth, Grandpa had quietly passed away.

I feel blessed to have spent time with him in the years that I have been part of this family.  Even though they lived far away, we still got to see Nick's grandparents at least once a year.  I can still hear his kind voice.  The way he would get emotional over special events and his voice would crack into a cry.  The way that he said his daughter's name, Christi, in his Austrian accent.

I even had the privilege of riding in his car.  It was a short ride, just down the street to a restaurant.  But, very memorable, as I feared for my life with his crazy driving.  I heard that he was known for getting a speeding ticket every time that he drove to Cincinnati.

Grandpa was very kind to our kids.  He always had a hug and a smile and a kiss on the cheek.  He immediately made me feel welcomed into the family.
Last summer at Myrtle Beach
The next few days will be emotional.  We are in South Carolina, enjoying our time with family from all over the country, while wishing it was for a happier reason.  While I mourn the loss of a nice man, the rest of the family is mourning the loss of a grandfather, a father and a husband.

"He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away."  Revelation 21:4

No comments: