The Kids

The Kids

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Mother Abby

While playing with Abby the other day, she came up with a rather frightening pretend game. She told me, "We're going to play that you are my mom and I'm going to have a baby!"

After recovering from my mini-stroke, she went on to describe how this would work. She told me, "I have a baby inside of me and it was just made!"

I could not resist. I asked her, "How was it made Abby?" (Yes, I know, I was setting myself up for questions every parent dreads-what is wrong with me?) Thankfully, she just thought about it and said, "I don't know, but it will get big and have to come out." About five seconds later she said, "Oh look-it came out!"

(If only it was that easy in real life.)

Then she grabbed one of her baby dolls and pretended I was the grandma. It was such a boost to my ego, let me tell you.

We continued to play that she was the mommy and it was pretty funny how good she was at her new role. She was very tender and spoke softly. It made me scared to think about how quickly time goes and how eventually my baby will be having babies.

However, within the hour she was fighting with her little brother and screaming at the top of her lungs. I never thought present day reality would sound so nice.

No comments: