The Kids

The Kids

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

No More Tears

After having a rough day (to be honest, a rough few weeks) something happened yesterday that just pushed me over my limit. The occurrance is not important, but let it be known that I was in tears out of frustration and exhaustion.

Caleb came up to me to ask for something and stopped short when he saw my face. He looked concerned and said, "Are you sad, Mommy?" When I said "Yes," he immediately reached up his arms to hug me. While I stood there hugging him, he stared intently at my face and kept wiping my tears away. With each wipe, he said, "It's okay, Mommy-no more tears."

What I love about this story is not only am I touched by how tender my son can be with someone in pain, but how God used this little one to remind me of something greater.

Too often the only comforting words we can share with each other is that God loves us and cares about every detail of our life. And we know that we can rely and call on Him. But, let's be honest-sometimes He can feel far away when we are lost in our own problems. For me, it is easier to receive comfort from friends and family who I am physically seeing and talking with. That does not mean that I do not put my faith and trust in Him, but sometimes my neediness just wants human contact.

When Caleb was wiping my tears away and comforting me, scripture came to life right in front of me. It was like I could hear Jesus saying the same words to me. The assurance that someday there really will be no more tears flooded my heart and I felt ashamed for not trusting in Him from the beginning.

I also felt valued and humbled by the fact that He always finds a way to remind me of His never-ending providence and love.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Oh Tammy, That brought tears to my eyes. I hope your week gets better. I'll be praying for you.