The Kids

The Kids

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Magic Might Be Gone

While Abby was "helping" Nick hang up Christmas lights a couple of weeks ago, she started having the dreaded conversation. 

No, not that one.  She is only seven. 

She told Nick that sometimes she does not think that Santa Claus is real and that we just buy all of the presents. 

Crap.  The magic is ending.

Nick never confirmed that she was correct, but simply said, "Talk to your mom about it."

Thanks partner.

Thankfully, Abby never brought it up again.  I am hoping that if she does bring it up, that she chooses not to do so in front of Caleb.  At least let him keep the magic a little longer.  In the meantime, she keeps talking about when Santa is coming, made reindeer food to sprinkle on the lawn, and was just this morning asking me what the reindeer's names were.

I remember being very skeptical as a child about the whole thing.  I stopped believing at a rather young age, but kept up appearances to humor my parents.  My life was never shattered by the whole experience-I just grew up.

My brother found out in a fun way.  He wrote his letter to Santa, which my mom said that she mailed.  A few weeks later, he was reaching for something on top of the fridge (don't ask my why or how he was doing this) and found the letter.  My mom tried to cover up by explaining that it was another letter that he wrote and that she really did send the original.

Nice try, Mom.  Billy played along for a little while longer, but the damage was done.  The magic was gone.

If Abby really does pick this year to stop believing, I hope that she is not the kid at school that every parent dreads.  The one who tells all of their precious children that there is no Santa Claus.

Well, I knew this day would come, but I was hoping it would hold out a little longer.  And if Abby finds out, it is only a matter of time before Caleb figures it out, too.

Poor Noah.  He does not stand a chance.

No comments: