The Kids

The Kids

Monday, February 13, 2012

Should Be 35 Years

My cousin, David, would have been 35 years old today.

He passed away suddenly ten years ago and as each year goes by, I feel like it just happened.  The last time that I saw him was on my wedding day.  His oldest son was our ring bearer and his youngest son was so, so little.  It continually breaks my heart that the boys do not have their dad around to watch them grow up.

Since my brother is eleven years younger than me, leaving me to feel like an only child for a long time, my cousins felt like brothers to me.  While other little girls were playing dress up and having tea parties, I was off having adventures in the woods with the boys.  I could have been playing jump rope or with Barbies, but no-I was pretending to be in the army and fighting battles. 
Coming back from one of our many adventures in the woods

I miss David.  I miss him when I see our kids play together and wish that he could watch them.  I miss him when all of the family is together at Thanksgiving and Christmas. 

Someday we will have a sweet reunion in Heaven, where there are no more tears.

2 comments:

Elna said...

Hi tammey. I know the feelings of missing loved one my mom year after year. But we do have that glorious hope and expectation of such a homecoming reuionion praise God

Anonymous said...

Tammy, You and David were really close,especially as kids. There were some great times. When you got older, I think the one that sticks with me most is when you guys went to the prom together - as a threesome. That was a special time. You are right ... there are days when it feels like it just happened. Today happens to be one of those days. If I know I would never see him again I honestly don't know how I would get through that. I thank God for His sacrafice so that we can! Hugs...ACarol