The Kids

The Kids

Friday, June 13, 2008

An Ode to My Dad

I have been blessed with growing up in a Christian home by parents who never made me doubt their love for me. I could write pages on what an amazing mother I have, but in honor of Father's Day, today I am going to dedicate some words specifically to my dad.

When my mom met my dad, she was a single mom (for the very few of you who do not know that back story, it is a story of how amazing my mom is, saved for another time). They talked and talked the first time they met and were married within the year. The older I get, the more I am amazed at my dad. He loved my mom so much that his love extended to me and he took us both as his family. I believe after they were pronounced man and wife at their wedding, I said quite loudly, "Can I call him Daddy now?"

I legally became his within a short time, but was always his daughter from the beginning. He taught me how to ride a bike, how to drive a tractor during hay season, and played countless games of basketball with me. He built me a swingset, was the highlight of any birthday party (particularly when he bounced across the yard when the tire swing broke), and taught me to drive. He met my dates, gave me honest opinions on boyfriends and gave me away at my wedding. No matter the situation, he has stood by me and loved me.

My dad is the definition of a provider. As a farmer, the only days I can remember him being able to take off work were for our yearly day trips to the mountains, our graduations, my wedding day and the birth of my kids. He has a tough job, that gets harder each year. Yet, he consistently works hard and taught us the value of a dollar. I know the reason my brother and I are such hard workers and have always been reliable are because of him.

I know he does not always feel important and sometimes feels like he has wasted his life with farming. It is one of those professions that is easily taken for granted and never paid according to what it should be. However, I am grateful for the upbringing I had as a farmer's daughter. I learned not to take things for granted and have always had a love for the outdoors. And today, my kids love going to Grandpa's house and staying at the farm.

Happy Father's Day to a man who will never know how much he is truly valued by his little girl. Words can never express what he has done for his family and how much he is honored and loved.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Tammy, for telling everyone that it is not blood that makes a dad. You are amazing, and I am so glad you appreciate what a treasure you have in your dad!

~Seth and Nancy~ said...

what a great post tammy!! he sounds like an amazing man.