The Kids

The Kids

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Story Time

While eating dinner tonight, Abby decided to tell me stories. One story was her version of Little Red Riding Hood, in which the wolf is nice in the end and everyone lives happily ever after. She also told me the following story that she made up...

"There once was a little girl named Abby. She was sleeping and then woke up. She went outside and then she got scared because she saw a dragon. But, then the dragon was nice and they became friends and she wasn't scared anymore. And they lived happily ever after. The end."

I love that she is making up stories. She loves to "write" in her princess journal (thank you Miss Jessica W for that gift!) and is always coming up with creative things to do. I am amazed at the energy that she wakes up with each morning. At what age do we start to lose that passion for life?

Another thing I enjoy about Abby's stories is that they end "happily ever after." I guess this is because every show she watches and every story that she reads ends in this manner. And in her mind, why would anything have a sad ending?

I love being the parent of a toddler who sees the world in this way. I know someday (not too far in the future) she will start to see the world in a different way and it breaks my heart. If only I could protect her from all the pain and hurt she will experience someday. It makes me sad to know not everyone will turn out like her wolf and dragon and not turn "good." But, I know she will go through these difficult times for a reason, just like we do as adults. I pray in the midst of anything that she faces, that she will always know God is faithful.

No comments: