The Kids

The Kids

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Peer Pressure

Abby was playing in the sprinkler today with her neighbor, Trinity. Although my daughter has a very strong personality and knows what she wants, she tends to be a little tentative when trying new things. So while Trinity ran full force into the sprinkler and sometimes even stood on top of it, Abby was content to run around in circles and just get slightly wet. Trinity kept telling her, "Run right through it, Abby! Come on, it's more fun that just standing over there! Look how easy it is!"

I saw the look of mixed emotions on Abby's face. She was scared of running right into the sprinkler, yet felt like she should listen to her friend. Finally, she said loudly, "I'm just not ready, yet. I have to get used to the sprinkler first."

I know it's such a small thing, but I was so proud of her for not giving into her first moment of peer pressure. Don't get me wrong-there are many times we make her do things so that she gets over her fears. But, in this case I was glad she did not try something just because someone else was doing it. It also made me hurt to see how she struggled with not appearing brave enough to run into the sprinkler.

Nick mentioned the other day how he physically hurts with love for our kids. I never understood until actually having children how much parents want to protect their kids. I do not want to see them feel pain or get embarrassed, yet, this will happen in their lives and more than once. The pain and embarrassment are necessary to their growth. It helps them become the people they will be someday.

Which leads me to thinking about God as my Father. If I empathize with my children on every emotion, how much more does God feel for me in every thought? He knows my innermost pain and loves me because I am His child. Yet, He does not take away the pain because He knows it is necessary for who I am to become.

I pray that every time I feel that knot in my stomach when my children are hurt, it serves as a reminder to me of God's continuing providence and love over me, His little child.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The peer pressure will only get worse... :)

Anonymous said...

I think its because her parents are both very strong and supportive.
I remember feeling the same way about Nick when he was a child.